Be wary of conmen on the phone, warns council
DO not give your bank details to a stranger over the phone unless you are certain the request is genuine. That s the advice from North Herts District Council after at least one resident was called by a conman claiming to work for NHDC, offering a refund o
DO not give your bank details to a stranger over the phone unless you are certain the request is genuine.
That's the advice from North Herts District Council after at least one resident was called by a conman claiming to work for NHDC, offering a refund on their council tax and asking for bank details.
Such calls are not genuine, says the council.
Cllr Terry Hone, NHDC deputy leader and portfolio holder for finance, said today (Thursday): "We do not make unsolicited calls of this type. If you have requested a council tax refund, we may call you to ask for bank details or confirm information but we would only do this if we have sent prior notification of the refund or in response to contact from a customer.
You may also want to watch:
"If you do receive a call regarding council tax and you are unsure if it is genuine, please do not give any bank details over the phone. All council staff will willingly give their full name. Ask the caller for their name and call NHDC back on 01462 474000.
"We understand that this confidence trick is taking place nationally and we sincerely hope that no one in North Herts falls victim to the nasty scam.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright