THIS week The Comet is helping launch the Battle of the Bands. The contest to find the bands with the X-factor in Biggleswade and Sandy will be staged at the end of October. The venue will either be the auditorium at Sandy Upper School or the Weatherley C
THIS week The Comet is helping launch the Battle of the Bands.
The contest to find the bands with the X-factor in Biggleswade and Sandy will be staged at the end of October.
The venue will either be the auditorium at Sandy Upper School or the Weatherley Centre in Biggleswade.
Organiser of the event is Ken Lynch who has been a long-respected youth campaigner in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Backing the Battle of the Bands will be Martin Burnside, owner of the soon-to-be opened Gaffney's Restaurant in Bedford Road, Sandy, who has put up cash prizes.
This will be the first time a Battle of the Bands has been held outside the Sandy Carnival and is likely to become an annual event.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
"We would like to make this an event young people and bands can look forward to every year," said Mr Lynch.
"There are a lot of wonderful bands in the Biggleswade and Sandy area that don't get the recognition they deserve.
"This will be a showcase for them and also be a social function for young people in the area who enjoy listening to the bands.
"I am very grateful to Mr Burnside for putting up the prize money and trophies and perhaps in the next week we will be able to finalise where the event will be held."
Bands interested in applying for the event should contact Mr Lynch immediately on 01767 681739 or write to him at 4 Pyms Way, Sandy.
During the weeks leading up to the event the Comet will be revealing the bands that are doing battle in front of a live audience.