Batter not leave it too late if you want to get involved in Hitchin’s pancake races
- Credit: Archant
On your marks, get set...flip! The countdown has started for Hitchin’s annual celebration of Shrove Tuesday, and organisers are still recruiting teams to take part in pancake races.
The races are normally staged along the High Street but this year the venue has been switched to the grounds of nearby St Mary’s Church for safety reasons because of scheduled roadworks in the area. Mike McKenzie of Hitchin Priory Rotary Club, which organises the event in aid of the Letchworth-based Garden House Hospice, said: “Our thanks to St Mary’s for allowing this.
“The races will be held on well-surfaced paths finishing at the gate by the war memorial.
“This is not particularly satisfactory, but has been chosen as an alternative to cancelling the event.”
The 18th annual festival will see the Market Place host the Pancake Fayre on Saturday, February 6, with the races staged on Tuesday, February 9.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who is interested in joining the field for the races, either as an individual or as a team, can contact John Hartshorne (01462 677047 or email@example.com).
- 1 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 2 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 3 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright