Batter not leave it too late if you want to get involved in Hitchin’s pancake races
- Credit: Archant
On your marks, get set...flip! The countdown has started for Hitchin’s annual celebration of Shrove Tuesday, and organisers are still recruiting teams to take part in pancake races.
The races are normally staged along the High Street but this year the venue has been switched to the grounds of nearby St Mary’s Church for safety reasons because of scheduled roadworks in the area. Mike McKenzie of Hitchin Priory Rotary Club, which organises the event in aid of the Letchworth-based Garden House Hospice, said: “Our thanks to St Mary’s for allowing this.
“The races will be held on well-surfaced paths finishing at the gate by the war memorial.
“This is not particularly satisfactory, but has been chosen as an alternative to cancelling the event.”
The 18th annual festival will see the Market Place host the Pancake Fayre on Saturday, February 6, with the races staged on Tuesday, February 9.
Anyone who is interested in joining the field for the races, either as an individual or as a team, can contact John Hartshorne (01462 677047 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 1 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 2 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 3 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades