Batman and Joker appear in Hitchin
SHOPPERS may have got a bit of a surprise at the weekend when Batman and the Joker paid a visit to a town.
Gary Hammond – or Batman as he was on Saturday – and ‘Joker’ and partner Samantha Miller were in Hitchin Market with the Batmobile to promote a charity event they will undertake later this month.
They were joined by members of the Hitchin Royal British Legion.
Gary, from Cambridge Road, Hitchin, is taking part in the Rally for Heroes, a major fundraising project in aid of Help For Heroes and the Royal British Legion.
He will drive in his Jaguar XF 2,500 miles across five countries, along with 50 other drivers.
So far, about �80,000 has been raised –nearing the �100,000 target.
He said: “We are doing really well with the fundraising, last count was a couple of weeks ago and now the organisers are keeping the number close to their chests.
- 1 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 4 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 8 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 9 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
- 10 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
“They will announce the final number at the start of the rally on August 18.”
Gary will begin his journey here in England, taking in the Top Gear test track in Surrey, Monaco, Stelvio National Park in Italy and the Burburgring Circuit in Germany. He will also visit Switzerland.
Natasha Robertson, community fundraiser for the RBL, said: “The guys have really worked hard and have already achieved so much.
“It is great having them on board to help raise much needed funds for our charity and raise awareness of what is happening in Afghanistan today. I wish them all the luck in their challenge.”
It is his first rally, and although he will take on the driving, he will have company from his partner Samantha.
To sponsor Gary, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SharkInThePool