Bar in a car up for sale on eBay to raise cash for CLIC Sergeant
- Credit: Archant
A mobile pub, complete with pumps, optics, and pork scratchings, has been put up for sale on eBay to raise money for charity – with bids ending today (Saturday).
The ‘bar in a car’, a converted Volvo V40 was one of the most eye-catching entrants in this year’s Ashwell Banger Challenge, in which entrants make customised cars which are auctioned off to raise money for cancer charity CLIC Sergeant.
The challenge took place last month, and all the cars are currently being auctioned off online, with bidding to close later today before the winners are revealed at a grand gala event for participants tonight.
Ashwell resident Mark Allan, who is one of the members of the team behind the mobile pub, said: “We were sitting in the pub and trying to come up with a theme for our car. We’re all quite avid home brewers, so we thought a pub would work quite well.
“Initially we bought 1,000 beer mats on the internet so we could decorate the outside, but then we kept it going and got a bar set up with a couple of working pumps and some optics. We even had some pork scratchings in there. The car got quite a bit of attention and we all dressed up as country gentlemen for the challenge, though most people seemed to think we had all come as Sherlock Holmes.”
The team even secured a pub sign, and dubbed their ale-house The Broke ’n’ Down.
Other banger owners used themes including the Dukes of Hazard, the Blues Brothers and the Damn Busters.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 4 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 5 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
Mr Allan said: “The idea is to buy the cheapest car you can find and sell it for as much as possible. The one that raises most for CLIC Sergeant will be the winner.”
To see all the cars up for auction and find details of how to bid, log on to twitter.com/abcherts
All vehicles from the Ashwell Banger Challenge will be on display tomorrow morning as part of Ashwell at Home. They will be exhibited in the car park of the Bushel and Strike Pub in the village.