Bar in a car up for sale on eBay to raise cash for CLIC Sergeant
- Credit: Archant
A mobile pub, complete with pumps, optics, and pork scratchings, has been put up for sale on eBay to raise money for charity – with bids ending today (Saturday).
The ‘bar in a car’, a converted Volvo V40 was one of the most eye-catching entrants in this year’s Ashwell Banger Challenge, in which entrants make customised cars which are auctioned off to raise money for cancer charity CLIC Sergeant.
The challenge took place last month, and all the cars are currently being auctioned off online, with bidding to close later today before the winners are revealed at a grand gala event for participants tonight.
Ashwell resident Mark Allan, who is one of the members of the team behind the mobile pub, said: “We were sitting in the pub and trying to come up with a theme for our car. We’re all quite avid home brewers, so we thought a pub would work quite well.
“Initially we bought 1,000 beer mats on the internet so we could decorate the outside, but then we kept it going and got a bar set up with a couple of working pumps and some optics. We even had some pork scratchings in there. The car got quite a bit of attention and we all dressed up as country gentlemen for the challenge, though most people seemed to think we had all come as Sherlock Holmes.”
You may also want to watch:
The team even secured a pub sign, and dubbed their ale-house The Broke ’n’ Down.
Other banger owners used themes including the Dukes of Hazard, the Blues Brothers and the Damn Busters.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Mr Allan said: “The idea is to buy the cheapest car you can find and sell it for as much as possible. The one that raises most for CLIC Sergeant will be the winner.”
To see all the cars up for auction and find details of how to bid, log on to twitter.com/abcherts
All vehicles from the Ashwell Banger Challenge will be on display tomorrow morning as part of Ashwell at Home. They will be exhibited in the car park of the Bushel and Strike Pub in the village.