Baldock school celebrates its 60th year
A SCHOOL will be going holy as well as welcoming back former pupils when it celebrates its diamond anniversary.
St Mary’s Infant School in Baldock will become St Mary the Virgin Church on Sunday morning as the 9.30am service relocates to the school hall, complete with candles, a congregation and the school’s Christian choir.
Now in its 60th year, the school situated in St Mary’s Way will be holding a fortnight of activities as part of the celebrations including an open afternoon on Tuesday from 1.20pm and 4pm, providing past students and staff with a chance to reunite.
Current pupils will be dressing up in 50s attire when they have a ‘beach party in Baldock’ on Tuesday, July 12, with an ice cream factory, pony riding, bouncy castles, Punch & Judy and plenty of sand and water.
“We are very excited about the forthcoming celebrations,” said headteacher Val Morris.
You may also want to watch:
“We are recording a CD of our favourite songs, selling 60th birthday mugs and focusing on what life was like in the 1950s – how life has changed since then!
“There will be opportunities for past pupils and staff to write in a memories book when they visit the school on the open day and to look around the school and our fantastic grounds.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“If anybody in the town has any old photographs of the school, or Baldock, we would be delighted to display them in the school for all to share.”
About becoming a church for the day, Mrs Morris added: “Many churchgoers are past pupils of the infant school and will enjoy joining the two places together in this way. Do come and be part of the first event of a fortnight of celebrations!”
If you would like to contribute Baldock memorabilia or join the school for the open day contact St Mary’s on 01462 892347.