Baldock’s Sophie is stressing the advantages of apprenticeships after landing County Hall role
- Credit: Archant
A 21-year-old from Baldock has her feet firmly set on the career ladder after completing an apprenticeship with Herts County Council.
Sophie Mance says she’s been able to steer of hefty student debt as well as gaining qualifications, and now she has been offered the role of senior support officer at the council after getting an apprenticeship and NVQ in business and administration under her belt.
Sophie said: “There was nothing in particular that I wanted to study after school and so I decided not to go to university.
“To give me time to decide what it was that I did want to do, I got a job in a bakery where I spent a year working my way up.
“I knew that I needed more of a challenge. I was really lucky to be offered a place on the county scheme, and looking back I am really happy that I made this choice. I earned while I learned and I am now way ahead in experience, as well as financially, compared to my friends who chose to go to university. I simply don’t have the debt they do, and still have a qualification as well as solid experience in the workplace.”
You may also want to watch:
Across Hertfordshire, there is a vast choice of schemes from hairdressing to accountancy, with an average pay of £138 per week.
There are currently more than 300 roles available across the county, including a number of positions working with the county council and other authorities.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
To find out more about apprenticeships, visit www.youthconnexions-hertfordshire.org.