Baldock's �3.2 million town centre scheme wins major award
THE multi-million pound refurbishment of Baldock town centre has won a top national award. Horticulture Week magazine has voted the �3.2million scheme the Best Commercial Project in Horticulture, Landscape and Amenity for 2009 in its annual award scheme.
THE multi-million pound refurbishment of Baldock town centre has won a top national award.
Horticulture Week magazine has voted the �3.2million scheme the Best Commercial Project in Horticulture, Landscape and Amenity for 2009 in its annual award scheme.
The announcement was made in London much to the delight of the many people involved in the project, which was led by North Herts District Council with further funding and support from Herts County Council.
The scheme was designed by Building Design Partnership and the work was carried out by Skanska McNicholas.
The improvement scheme was finished in May and included resurfacing and finishing with York stone, granite and buff gravel, a remodelled open area around the war memorial, new street furniture and lighting, green areas and tree planting.
Traffic lights on the edge of the town centre have been upgraded to deter through traffic and encourage drivers to use the new bypass.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 3 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 4 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 5 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 6 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
- 7 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 8 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 9 A brief history of Fairfield: One of Bedfordshire's newest towns
- 10 Family pays tribute to 'wonderful and caring' husband and father
John Campbell, chief executive of NHDC, said: "We are pleased to have won this prestigious award. A large number of people worked together for a long period on the new town centre and the result is something we can all be proud of.
"Residents have already made it clear that they like the improvements and it is very gratifying that a national organisation has recognised the quality of the scheme."
Cllr F John Smith, leader of the council, said: "Town centres are one of the council's top priorities and I am glad that our investment in Baldock has resulted in this award. Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved - it's a real good news story.