Baldock pensioner’s gutters fixed for free
- Credit: Archant
A pensioner who was conned by a doorstop trader has had her gutters fixed for free.
Hilde Betts, of High Street in Baldock, received a flyer in Autumn last year advertising Just Gutters, a company with a Cambridge telephone number offering to fix and clean guttering.
But when the 75-year-old took the company up on their offer she was conned by two gentlemen who charged her £60 despite not fixing the gutters.
Upon realising that water wasn’t running down the drainpipe Mrs Betts rang the company, but after saying they’d be right round to fix the problem, she never heard from them again.
After reading the story, a man who wished to remain anonymous contacted the Comet to be put in touch with Mrs Betts and fix her gutters for free.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Betts said: “He happened to be in Letchworth at the time and so he got to me within the hour after I’d rung him. He sorted everything out very quickly and all he asked for in return was a cup of coffee.
“He was a very pleasant, kind man and he said he wanted to help me because his mother is the same age and he would hate to think of her getting ripped off. He did not want any publicity, he just wanted it to be a private act of kindness.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“I didn’t expect someone to help me, especially not so quickly, all I wanted to do was to warn people that the rogue who said he had fixed my gutters initially was not trustworthy. But I am absolutely delighted that my gutters have been fixed.”