Baldock gardeners to mark National Allotments Week with open day
- Credit: Archant
Baldock’s gardeners will celebrate National Allotments Week with an open day next weekend.
Baldock Allotment and Leisure Gardeners’ Association will be holding the open day from 12 noon to 3pm on Saturday at Tapps Garden Centre in Wallington Road.
National Allotments Week, an annual initiative run by the National Allotment Society, is from August 14 to 20 this year.
A BALGA spokeswoman said: “You can find out more about growing your own vegetables by renting an allotment in Baldock and discover about what we have achieved since taking over the management of our sites from North Herts District Council in April 2016.
This includes having the highest occupancy of plots since the 1990s with a waiting list on one site, and successful grant applications to improve both allotment sites – including the first ever successful application for the release of Section 106 monies to improve the water supply at our Clothall Road site.
“We also have a record number of members for our association, and annual rents for tenant members held for two years.”
The open day will feature displays of the results of this year’s best-kept allotment competition and members’ working parties.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
A police community support officer will be on hand to give advice on allotment security, and will bring along tool-marking equipment for members to try out.
Several councillors are also set to attend. Refreshments will be available from Tapps.
To find out more, have a look at balga-online.co.uk.