Baldock football club granted home to hold club meetings
- Credit: Archant
A ‘nomadic’ football club in Baldock has been granted a home to hold club meetings and socials after a two year wait.
Baldock Town Youth FC have been given £1,000 by the council to carry out a survey on a building that’s been sitting empty for years on Bakers Close.
Bob Angus, Vice Chairman of the club said: “It means a hell of a lot. At the moment during the summer we share a space with a cricket and bowling club. We have to revert to pubs to have our committee meetings and events, it’s not what you want.
“It will be great to get a home where people can congregate, chat about the football and everything else.”
The club will lease the site from the council, and will have full control over the field for the youth team to practice at the weekends.
The renovation will cost approximately £100,000. The club are hoping to get the money together from council grants and are considering fundraising ideas and an application to the Sports Foundation.
Bob also hopes the centre will attract more women to train at the ground.
- 1 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 2 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 3 Man allegedly assaulted and robbed woman in Stevenage park
- 4 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 5 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 6 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 7 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 8 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 9 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
- 10 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
He said: “Two or three years ago we had a ladies team but they had to move. Now introducing a new team for women could be on the cards.”
Plans have not yet been drawn out, but the club plans to introduce a bar and kitchen, changing rooms and disabled changing rooms.
Baldock Town Youth FC is one of the biggest clubs in North Herts.