Baldock care home’s Time For a Cuppa cake sale and sing-song raises more than £200 for Dementia UK
- Credit: Archant
Residents at a Baldock care home decorated cakes and enjoyed a sing-song to raise more than £200 for Dementia UK.
Nicola Sherwood, who has just started as activity co-ordinator at Providence Court, organised the cake sale in the home’s day room as part of Dementia UK’s Time For a Cuppa initiative.
Staff, relatives and friends helped provide live entertainment, with favourite songs of the past and present performed by Joe Vaughan.
And some of the cakes on sale last Friday were made in the home and decorated by the residents.
Nicola, whose grandparents died when she was young, said she saw helping those with dementia as her way of giving something back.
She said: “I thought it would be a great idea to raise money and awareness for Dementia UK, especially as I’ve worked closely with people living with dementia, and I’m passionate about making others aware.
“Unfortunately I didn’t get a lot of time with my grandparents as they passed away when I was young so I feel it’s my way of giving a little back.
- 1 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 2 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 3 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 4 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 5 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 6 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 7 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 10 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
“I never expected to go into care or to enjoy it as much as I do, but every day I leave my job at Providence Court I know I’ve made a difference to someone’s day and that makes me happy to know I’ve made that difference.”
Nicola took the cake sale out of the care home and into a hairdressers on Saturday, with clients there also enjoying the goodies. Nicola’s neighbours, family and friends also donated to bring the total up to £226.
The money will help to fund Admiral Nurses – specialist registered nurses working with dementia – and a dementia helpline, open seven days a week.
To find out more see dementiauk.org.