Baldock car dealer fined over £8,000 for misleading customers
- Credit: Getty Images/Creatas RF
A second hand car business has been fined more than £8,000 for misleading customers.
IS Cars Ltd, based in Royston Road, Baldock, was fined a total of £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,000 costs and £120 victim surcharge at Watford Magistrates’ Court last week.
The company had pleaded not guilty to all charges but was found guilty of three offences.
IS Cars Ltd was found guilty of selling a Ford Focus with a tampered log book and advertising a Skoda Octavia as having a leather interior when it did not.
The offences occurred despite the business receiving written advice from Hertfordshire Trading Standards earlier in 2012 and were found following an inspection of the site in December of that year.
Councillor Richard Thake, cabinet member for community safety at Hertfordshire County Council, said: “Consumers must have confidence that they are buying a car, or any product, as it has been described by the seller. Misleading description is a serious offence and this has been recognised by the court.”
- 1 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 2 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 3 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 6 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 9 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 10 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan