Baldock bypass: Relief at last
AFTER 70 years of waiting and almost two years under construction, the £43million Baldock bypass has opened eight months early and on budget. Hertfordshire County Council chairman Bryan Hammond and six-year-old Kiera Brunton, from Hillshott Infant and Nur
AFTER 70 years of waiting and almost two years under construction, the £43million Baldock bypass has opened eight months early and on budget.
Hertfordshire County Council chairman Bryan Hammond and six-year-old Kiera Brunton, from Hillshott Infant and Nursery School, cut a ribbon to mark the official opening just after midday last Thursday.
Cllr Hammond said: "This spring and summer, the people of Baldock can reclaim their roads. There will be much less pollution, much less congestion and fewer heavy vehicles."
Chairman of the Baldock area committee Cllr Ian Knighton said: "This will really be the start of a new era for Baldock. It can now shed its reputation as a notorious traffic bottleneck and begin a new life as an attractive, vibrant, historic town."
You may also want to watch:
The event was attended by the winners of The Comet's bypass competition. Judi Green, of Dawlish Close, Stevenage, said: "People have been waiting for the bypass for some time. It's very impressive and although it's a very cold day it's been very enjoyable."
Staff and pupils from eight local schools also attended the opening.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
The schools were Brandles, Hartsfield JMI, Hillshott, Knights Templar, St Francis College, St Mary's JMI, Weston Primary School and Wymondley JMI.
After the ceremony, a cavalcade of vehicles travelled along the bypass and into Baldock town centre to celebrate the opening.