Baldock based violinist to perform with pros
A PLUCKY young woman from Baldock will perform her first concert with a major orchaestra after winning a one year violin scholarship.
Nandita Bhatia, who lives in The Rowans with her parents, was awarded a scholarship with the University of Hertfordshire’s orchestra after winning a string section competition at a music festival.
The 23-year-old said: “I obviously love performing, it’s what I do, I play the violin.
“I did the festival to get performing experience, I wasn’t in it to win it, so it was fantastic to win the scholarship.
“I have played since I was seven so it’s about 15-16 years and I have always known I wanted to play the violin professionally.”
Miss Bhatia was an entrant at the Hatfield and District Music Festival in April and as a result of winning is now mentored by the orchestra leader and head of the second strings.
They give support through weekly rehearsals and advice at concerts.
- 1 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 4 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 5 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 6 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 7 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 8 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 9 Hitchin Boys head to National Athletics Final
- 10 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
Miss Bhatia hopes the experience will help her fulfil her dream of becoming a professional violinist and give her vital musical experience.
She said: “Well I hope to go to music college in London and do a Master’s degree so the scholarship helps me get some orchestral experience and obviously I get to sit at the front with the leaders who are professionals themselves.”
Miss Bhatia is currently having a year out to concentrate on practising the violin but also works part time at the Benslow Music Trust, a renowned musical centre in Hitchin.
She will be performing a concert this Sunday with The de Havilland Philharmonic Orchestra at the Western Auditorium, University of Hertfordshire, in Hatfield.