Bags of enthusiasm as slimmers back charity
- Credit: Archant
Members of slimming groups have been collecting clothes that don’t fit them any more for a cancer charity – racking up a hefty 220 bags full of donations.
The Slimmers World clubs in Stotfold, Shefford, Hitchin, and Letchworth have been handing over items of clothing which are too big for them to Cancer Research UK after their hard work successfully shedding the pounds.
With each bag valued at £30, the drive adds up to a £6,600 boost for the cancer charity’s shop in Hitchin.
Karen Crow from Stevenage, who runs a Thursday evening group at Hitchin’s St John’s Community Centre, said: “It’s amazing. It gives people a real boost when they see how much weight they’ve lost.
“It’s for a great cause as so many people have been touched by cancer.”
Dawn Breacher, head of the Stotfold and Shefford groups, added: “I’m proud of my members’ weight loss and helping the charity, too.”
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 4 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 5 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf