Back in the black
A SELF-CONFESSED shopaholic has had his finances overhauled as part of a new Channel 4 series. Before the team behind Big Spenders got hold of John Oakley, from Pankhurst Crescent in Stevenage, he was spending £1,000 a month more than he earned. John, 30
A SELF-CONFESSED shopaholic has had his finances overhauled as part of a new Channel 4 series.
Before the team behind Big Spenders got hold of John Oakley, from Pankhurst Crescent in Stevenage, he was spending £1,000 a month more than he earned.
John, 30, was told to apply for the show, due to air in the autumn, by his friends who saw the advert calling for people who spend far too much.
"I am a shopaholic. I absolutely love to shop. My particular weakness is clothes and shoes. If I see something clothes-wise that I like I won't just buy it once I will buy it a couple of times so I have a spare - I'll also buy it in different sizes in case I have fat days," said John.
You may also want to watch:
"I am really terrible when it comes to spending. I was spending £1,000 more than I earn. The show has been good for me. They put me on a regime that meant I had to live within a budget - something that I have never done before. It is great because I haven't had to go without and now I get the chance to save for holidays."
Programme makers made John sell his car and buy something cheaper to run. They were also shocked to find out that John had a brand new kitchen fitted when he had a perfectly good kitchen before.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
The old kitchen items, which John had stored in his garage, were just some of the items sold during a garage sale at his home last week which raised more than £200.
The television company is now looking for more applicants to take part in their show.
A spokesman said: "We want to find couples where one person loves spending money and always overspends.
"We have one programme left in the series to cast and we are looking for contributors in the Hertfordshire area."
* If you are interested call 020 7241 9202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org