Awards put Stevenage Old Town on a high
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
Forget the Great British Bake Off, Stevenage’s quirky Old Town has come in the top five for the Great British High Street competition 2016.
Stevenage was named in the top five in the ‘parade of shops’ category in the government-run contest, beating more than 85 per cent of the 900 entries this year, and just missing out on going through to the public vote to decide the winner from the top three entries.
High Streets Minister Andrew Percy said: “Stevenage demonstrated many of the things we were looking for: a commitment to revitalising the high street as a unique place for living, working and shopping.
“Stevenage just missed out on the public vote this year but can take great pride in reaching the final five and being named one of Britain’s best high streets.”
Charles Hawkins, from Stevenage Old Town Business and Community Partnership, said: “Our application submission acted as the perfect way to take stock of our high street achievements and celebrate our local businesses and community.
You may also want to watch:
“We are incredibly proud of our position against equally deserving high streets. It has provided great motivation to further the progress of our High Street, in the hope to better our position in years to come.”
Councillor Ralph Raynor, Stevenage’s lead councillor for the economy and enterprise, said: “Congratulations to Stevenage Old Town on being named in the top five Local Centre/Parade of Shops in Great Britain.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“The Old Town Community Business Partnership has worked extremely hard to put the Old Town on the map and I commend them on the work they are doing as it gives Stevenage national recognition.”
For more about the competition see www.thegreatbritishhighstreet.co.uk.