Award-winning Stevenage chef vows to wow ex-EastEnder Shaun Williamson with a curry to remember
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning chef has laid down the gauntlet to former EastEnders actor Shaun Williamson after he labelled all curries in Stevenage too bland for a baddy.
Oli Khan, 40, has offered Shaun a curry of his choice for free after the Aladdin panto star tweeted on Sunday: “Yet another bland curry from a Stevenage curry house. Been here eight weeks. Haven’t found a decent curry or Chinese.”
Oli owns the Surma Indian takeaway and the Spice Rouge restaurant in Stevenage Old Town and recently won a national accolade for his work at Curry Life magazine’s annual awards ceremony.
He said he “totally disagreed” with what Shaun said and wanted to put the record straight.
He added: “I’m not sure what he likes but whatever the meat - I’ll cook one of my signature dishes and I don’t cook to disappoint.
“I came to Stevenage around 16 years ago and I’ve had great success here. I’ve won several national awards for my cooking so the food can’t be bad. In fact I think Stevenage has the best curries in Hertfordshire.
“People come from all over to eat my food. Sometimes we have to put the phone down because we’re so busy.”
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 8 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company
Shaun, who is currently performing this year’s panto at the Gordon Craig Theatre, agreed to have a meal at Oli’s restaurant next week.
He later tweeted: “Thanks to all the kind people of Stevenage for your recommendations of good curry houses. Look forward to trying them. Am enjoying my stay x.”
•What do you think about Stevenage’s curries? Give our news desk a call on 01438 866209 or email email@example.com and let us know.