Award winning author's book hits shelves
AN AWARD winning writer s first novel has hit the bookshelves. Naomi Nielson from West Hill in Hitchin, saw her debut book, Euan s Torch go on sale today (Thursday). The work by the 59-year-old, who won the Undiscovered Authors Greater London final in 2
AN AWARD winning writer's first novel has hit the bookshelves.
Naomi Nielson from West Hill in Hitchin, saw her debut book, Euan's Torch go on sale today (Thursday).
The work by the 59-year-old, who won the Undiscovered Authors Greater London final in 2007, is concerned with issues of mental health, suicide and homosexuality.
Naomi said: "It's a story that starts in 1974 when the protagonists are teenagers and events lead to an attempted suicide. The action then moves forward 20 years and the past comes back.
"The theme is friendship, guilt and sacrifice. It's about how actions come back and how you deal with something damaging in the past."
Explaining the inspiration, she said: "Like all writers I've drawn on incidents in relationships from my life and particularly the friendships - although it is in no way an autobiography."
- 1 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 2 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
And look out for more to come as she has already completed another two books, one of which is aimed at teenagers. "It's become a bit of an addiction," she admitted.