Attempted robbery on girl, 16, near Hitchin park
A MAN attempted to rob a teenage girl of her handbag near a park.
The incident happened on Sunday at about 7.45pm in Hitchin on a pathway leading into Ransoms Recreation Ground, at the junction of Florence Street and Alexandra Road.
The victim was confronted by the offender, who took hold of her arm and demanded she hand over the bag. He then fled the scene, without the bag.
Detective Sergeant Ben Wright, who is investigating, said: “We believe there were four males who walked onto the pathway at the time of the incident which may have caused the offender to make off. I am appealing specifically to this group to contact police as you may have vital information.
“I am also appealing for anyone who may have seen the offender in the area around the time of the incident to contact police with information.”
The offender is described as a black male, aged about 19 or 20. He is thought to be more than 6ft tall, and had what is described as a flat nose. He was wearing a shiny black hooded puffer style jacket.
Anyone with information about the incident should contact the local in Hitchin on the non-emergency number 101, quoting crime reference number G1/12/2322.
- 1 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 2 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 3 Luke Turley: 'I was told to be a hitter not a tripper'
- 4 August 2022 weekend closure planned for A602 near Watton-at-Stone
- 5 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 6 Van 'tactically stopped' on A1(M) after alleged attempted vehicle theft
- 7 Music festival Old Town Live set to return with stages in High Street and venues across Stevenage Old Town
- 8 Deserved win for Stevenage over Stockport says Steve Evans but it was definitely in doubt
- 9 Thameslink suffers 'staff shortage' with weekend disruption planned
- 10 Player ratings: Who stood out as Stevenage beat Stockport County?
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, the independent charity, anonymously on 0800 555 111.