At least eight purse thefts in Hitchin town centre in a month
- Credit: Archant
There have been at least eight purse thefts in Hitchin town centre since the start of April, police have told the Comet.
Officers said the victims are mostly aged over 70, with the thefts happening in the High Street, Market Place and Bancroft.
A force spokeswoman said: “The offenders are removing purses from bags without the victims knowing. In one case a wallet was stolen from a man’s pocket.”
In response, officers are putting on a crime prevention event at Hitchin’s branch of Marks & Spencer in Bancroft this Saturday, from 10.30am to 1pm.
Police will offer crime prevention advice and give out purse bells and leaflets on how to protect property.
You may also want to watch:
In a Neighbourwood Watch update, PCSO Sarah Brown said: “Please ensure that you your handbag is closed properly, preferably zipped up, so that it is more difficult for someone to open it and reach in.
“Never leave your bag unattended or in a shopping trolley. Be aware of people around you.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 5 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
“If you would like advice and information on how to protect your property, then come along.”
If you’ve been a victim of crime, call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. If you think a crime is in progress, always call 999.