Aston Villa midfielder joins Stevenage on loan
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage have signed teenage Aston Villa midfielder Henry Cowans on loan until January.
The 19-year-old joins Darren Sarll’s squad after it was confirmed Tom Conlan will be out of action for up to nine months after suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury on Saturday.
Cowans, is the son of Villa legend Gordon, and is a regular in the Championship side’s U23 squad.
Of the new addition, Stevenage boss Sarll said: “Henry is a player that we have identified in U21 games, Glen [Roeder] andI saw him twice this year and were very impressed with his technical ability [and] impressed with the way he managed the ball.
“As always in football when one door shuts another one has opened, he has those Tom Conlon-type traits and with Tom Conlon stepping out of the scene for a while it has ended up being a decent time to bring Henry in.”
You may also want to watch:
Sarll felt an extra body in midfield was needed in his squad.
“He’ll be great for us and he’ll give us a bit more cover and support, a little bit more athleticism because we have got Charlie [Lee] and Michael [Tonge] who are 30 and 33 respectively.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 6 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
“Dale Gorman has a lot of international duty commitments coming up so we needed to provide the cover that Dale has also been providing Charlie and Michael.
“Steve [Schumacher] is not fully back, it has been a bit of a weird conundrum, a bit of a puzzle, in terms of trying to make sure we give the two central midfield players enough rest and recovery and game time and rotating them to get the best out of them.
“Henry just comes into that pile, but he will acquit himself well because he’s a very talented young man.”