Ashwell singer songwriter achieves notable success
SINGER songwriter Alex Holmes has achieved two notable successes. The 18-year old, who hails from Ashwell, reached the semi-finals of a prestigious song writing contest, and has reached the regional finals of Open Mic Uk. Having never entered a song writi
SINGER songwriter Alex Holmes has achieved two notable successes.
The 18-year old, who hails from Ashwell, reached the semi-finals of a prestigious song writing contest, and has reached the regional finals of Open Mic Uk.
Having never entered a song writing competition before, Alex was "delighted" to reach the semis of the jazz/blues category in the UK Song Writing Contest, with her song, Dreams.
Nicki Holmes, Alex's mum, said: "The contest is dedicated to promoting the art of song writing and the discovery of new talent.
You may also want to watch:
"Alex entered just one song and was delighted that it did so well in a contest that attracts over 6,000 entries in 10 categories of music genre."
When Alex auditioned for the Open Mic UK contest - the national talent competition to search for the UK's best singers and singer/songwriters - she won a place in the regional final.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
This takes place on Sunday, November 1 at the Bedford Corn Exchange where Alex will perform live.
The teenager is hoping to gain more performance experience when she moves to London to study popular music at Goldsmith's College.
In the meantime, locally-based fans can see her perform at The Windmill in Charlton, near Hitchin, on Sunday, October 10, and on Saturday, October 24 at The Plough, Kings Walden. At both these gigs she will play a mixture of original songs, and jazz, blues and pop covers.
For more information on Alex and her music, visit www.myspace.com/al3xholmes