Ashwell Show 2017: Visitors to flock to lamb national and more at bank holiday event
- Credit: Archant
If you’re looking for a fun day out for all the family, the organisers of this year’s bank holiday Ashwell Show say there will be something for everyone.
Centre stage at this year’s show at Elbrook Meadow is crowd-pleaser The Lamb National, which will see sheep race around the main ring to an entertaining commentary.
There’s also the chance to go to circus school, watch the ferret race, and take in all the Ashwell Show favourites, including a horse show with clear-round jumping, dog agility display and dog competitions.
You can also see a birds of prey demonstration, vintage cars, tractors, craft tent, craft activities, and stalls for shoppers.
For families and little ones, the Ladder 87 Company will be getting everyone involved in their activities, a Punch & Judy Show, face painting, children’s craft tent, mini farm, pony rides, sand the chance to hold snakes and reptiles.
You may also want to watch:
The show raises money for good causes, and this year has benefitted from micro sponsorship from sausage maker Debbie & Andrew’s. The scheme is in place to support a wide range of rural and country-based skills, crafts, events, activities and lifestyles.
Ashwell Show committee chairman John Connolly said: “Fundraising is an important part of the show and across the years we have given more than £100,000 to local charities and community projects. We really appreciate all the support we get from locals and we are sure this year will be bigger and better than ever.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 4 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 5 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 6 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 7 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“We are delighted that the really good sausage makers at Debbie & Andrew’s have given us a micro sponsorship to help boot up our fundraising and put some extra sizzle behind this year’s event, alongside our local sponsors the Macron store and JLT Employment Benefits.”
This year the new food and drink stalls include gourmet toasties, pulled meat, Sri Lankan cuisine, Lebanese treats, wood-fired pizzas, and buttermilk chicken, as well as a vintage cocktail bar and beer tent.
The show takes place on Monday, August 28, and tickets are £8 for adults, £4 for concessions and children aged five to 15. Under 5s go free.
Gates open 8.30am and the fun continues until 5pm. The horse events start at 9am and main ring attractions begin at 1pm.
Advance tickets are available at a 20 per cent discount from www.ashwellshow.co.uk.