Ashton will settle quickly, says Dreyer
Assistant boss John Dreyer is confident new signing John Ashton will settle quickly into his new Boro surroundings. Boro fans were denied the chance to see the club s latest addition in action at the weekend against Forest Green Rovers but could get anot
Assistant boss John Dreyer is confident new signing John Ashton will settle quickly into his new Boro surroundings.
Boro fans were denied the chance to see the club's latest addition in action at the weekend against Forest Green Rovers but could get another opportunity if the weather holds with the fixture re-arranged for tomorrow evening.
And while some new signings take a while to settle, Dreyer believes Ashton will slip seamlessly into the club's charge for promotion.
"Jon knows a few of the lads so there won't be any problem with him settling in," insisted Dreyer. "He has proven over the last few seasons that he is a quality defender and I've no doubt he will settle really quickly.
You may also want to watch:
"Of course the challenge for him at the moment is to break into the side but we want that kind of competition to keep everyone on their toes."
Dreyer revealed it was Ashton's performance in the goalless draw against Grays at The Lamex Stadium that made the Boro management team make the 26-year-old their number one priority in the January transfer window.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 3 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 4 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers
- 10 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
"He was superb that night," added the Boro No.2. "He marshalled the defence really well and convinced us that he would be a great addition if we could get him. Fortunately, we have managed to bring him in and he's an exciting signing for us.