Ashton: we deserved to win at Notts County
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage captain says victory at Meadow Lane will give his side a boost ahead of trip to Everton
Jon Ashton says Stevenage deserved their victory over Notts County, calling the win a ‘massive’ result.
Stevenage’s captain was at his best as he marshalled a back line that also kept a first league clean sheet of the season in the 1-0 victory, and he praised a new-look defence that included winger Roarie Deacon playing at left-back with David Gray, a permanent fixture at right-back last season, making his first start of the season.
Speaking after the win, Ashton said: “The first win of the season is always nice. We took our time getting it but we’re glad we’ve got it now and hopefully we can take that into Wednesday night [against Everton in the Capital One Cup] and next Saturday [at home to Bradford City] for the next league match.
“We had a game plan and we have to stick to that game plan for whatever the referee plays, 100 minutes or 95 minutes. Luckily we got the break in the 90th minute. We came into the game with a plan and it came off.
You may also want to watch:
“First and foremost my job is to keep a clean sheet, [we] got that today so that’s another positive.
“It’s nice for the attacking boys to do their job as well and get the three points. I thought the past few weeks we haven’t got what we deserved and I think today we did.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“It’s massive that we got the three points today. The boys are happy and it’s a big game on Wednesday. Getting the win today will give us a bit of a boost.
“Every game is going to be tough in this league but we know if we can get it right on the day we can beat anyone.”
Speaking about his defensive team, Ashton said: “Pre-season and just in training matches the gaffer’s played [Deacon] at left-back and he’s always done well. We had confidence in him playing at left-back.
“Peter Hartley at centre-half speaks for himself, he’s put in some solid performances at [former club] Hartlepool.
“And David Gray, his first start of the season, has slotted in nicely as if he’s never been away. Loads of positives there, and we’ll take that into Wednesday.”