Arson attack in remote countryside investigated
DETECTIVES are investigating a suspected arson attack, which caused “substantial damage” to a remote country cottage.
The Hitchin local crime unit is appealing for witnesses and information after the incident in Whiteway Bottom, near Kimpton.
It happened at about 3.45pm on Thursday, July 26, with the offenders setting fire to a shed.
This spread to the roof of a nearby cottage, causing damage.
Detective Constable Lisa Turner, who is investigating, said: “The location is very remote but I would like to appeal to anyone who may have been in the area at the time and seen anything suspicious to contact police with information.
“I am confident that the offender(s) would have used a vehicle to get to the property and would also like to appeal to anyone who saw any vehicles in the area to call in with details.”
Anyone with information should contact Dc Turner on the non-emergency number 101, quoting crime reference number G1/12/1812. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, the independent charity, anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 2 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 3 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 4 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 8 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 9 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 10 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday