Arrest after man ‘spotted with machete by bin collectors’ in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in Hitchin after dustbin collectors reported seeing someone with a machete.
Police told the Comet officers were called to Hardy Close at 11.12am after reports of a man with a knife.
A force spokeswoman said: “The arrested person is a 16-year-old boy from Hitchin. He remains in police custody at this time.
“He was arrested on suspicion of possession of a bladed article in a public place and affray.”
Neighbours reported that the person had been threatening the dustbin collectors with a machete – but North Herts District Council, which is responsible for waste collection, told the Comet this was not the case.
You may also want to watch:
A district council spokeswoman said bin collectors had seen the person with the knife, reported this to police and subsequently spoken to officers. She said they had not been threatened.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term