Around 35 jobs to be lost as historic Hitchin site stops milling its own flour after 160 years
- Credit: Archant
Around 35 jobs are set to be lost in Ickleford near Hitchin after a mill announced plans to shut its milling operation after 160 years.
Jas Bowman and Sons at Ickleford Mill on Arlesey Road is to stop milling at the site – ending a heritage dating back to 1857.
Operations are expected to cease in September with most job losses likely to be through redundancies.
The company’s head office, research and development centre, and production ingredients manufacturing facility will continue to operate from the mill.
A spokesman said: “We can confirm that in the region of 35 people are employed in the milling operation at Ickleford and Bowmans will be working with them to find alternative roles within the company where possible.
“Consolidation within the milling sector has made it unsustainable for Bowmans to mill its own flour.”
Rory Bowman, chief executive of Bowman Ingredients added: “This is a positive move for the company and its customers as it will strengthen our position in the global market.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 9 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
“Bowmans has a great track record of sector-leading innovation.
“The move out of milling enables us to concentrate on those areas that we predict will account for considerable growth into the future.
“I’d like to personally thank every employee for their hard work and commitment to the business.”