Armed police in Hitchin after man seen carrying knife
- Credit: Archant
Armed police, dogs and a helicopter were out searching for a man seen carrying a bladed article in Hitchin on Friday.
Officers were called shortly after 5.15pm to reports of a man cycling through Bancroft Park with a knife.
It was reported that he got off his bike and started to hit the ground with the object before leaving the area.
Officers, including armed police, attended and an extensive search was carried out with assistance from the police helicopter and dog unit.
The man was not traced and enquiries are continuing at this time. No one was injured during the incident.
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness who saw armed police searching the area told the Comet: “It was quite frightening. I was born and bred here and I never thought I would see that happening in Bancroft.”
Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or online via herts.police.uk/report.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 3 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 4 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 5 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 6 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 9 'Black history should be celebrated every month, not just in October'
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed