Argos raiders jailed for total of 70 years
SIX men who terrified staff in a series of armed raids on Argos stores including the one on the Roaring Meg Retail Park in Stevenage were sentenced to a total of 70 years today (Wednesday). St Albans Crown Court heard that robberies and attempted robberie
SIX men who terrified staff in a series of armed raids on Argos stores including the one on the Roaring Meg Retail Park in Stevenage were sentenced to a total of 70 years today (Wednesday).
St Albans Crown Court heard that robberies and attempted robberies happened across the South East of England in 2007.
The men, five from London and the other from Surrey, mainly targeted Argos stores, disguised themselves in dark clothing and balaclavas and forced their way into stores threatening staff. The crimes committed by them left many staff traumatised.
Detective Chief Inspector Bill Jephson, who led the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit investigation, described the six as "a determined and organised gang, intent on maximising their gains regardless of their victims".
You may also want to watch:
He added: "I am very pleased with the sentences handed down by the court. They reflect the impact the crimes had on staff. Indeed, the judge highlighted the 'terrifying nature' of the attacks and their effect on staff across the UK.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 9 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema