Are electric cars the future of transport in Stevenage? – find out by taking one out for a spin
- Credit: Archant
A fleet of electric cars is helping point the way towards the future of transport in Stevenage.
Stevenage Borough Council has worked with a private car club to bring a fleet of electric vehicles to the town which can be used by busy council officers in their day to day work and members of the public who need transport.
The cars can be hired out by booking into the council backed E-Car Club for £5.50 per hour and can be used for business or recreational purposes alike.
Ralph Raynor who leads on economic issues and transport for the council, said: “They are low emission cars and are much better for the environment than petrol cars.
“It means that people who don’t have access to a car but can drive, will be able to drive around town or out of town for business or holidays for instance.
“If it’s successful – and we have every reason to think it will be – then perhaps more car clubs will spread across the town in years to come.”
The council has installed four electric car charging bays by the Stevenage Leisure Centre station ramp for the cars which are all smart new Renault Zoe hatchbacks and cruise at the same speed as traditional petrol or diesel cars.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 3 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 4 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 5 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 6 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 'Horrible cramped housing' plans rejected by council
- 10 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
They have an average range of 70 to 90 miles for each charge and are parked in blue bays, prepared by the council as part of its work to support green transport in the town.
They are available every day of the year and E-Car Club has a network of charging points which can be found on its website and app.
Car clubs are well established in London and are often used by people who do not always need a car, or want to avoid annual running costs including insurance, maintenance, road tax and parking.
The cars can be booked online or via the E-Car Club app.
E-Car Club is currently running an introductory offer of a half price lifetime membership fee of £25 – normally £50 – and two free driving hours. To take advantage of this promotion, sign-up online and enter code: DH117 into the promotional code field. The offer expires on March 31.
To take one of the cars for a spin, sign up by clicking here.