Appeal to victims
FOUR teenagers have been charged in connection with a string of robberies and attempted robberies in Letchworth GC. A total of 12 victims were targeted in the town centre and Wilbury area on November 5 and between November 28 and December 5 last year. Th
FOUR teenagers have been charged in connection with a string of robberies and attempted robberies in Letchworth GC.
A total of 12 victims were targeted in the town centre and Wilbury area on November 5 and between November 28 and December 5 last year.
The victims were all women and most were elderly and alone at the time of the attack. Handbags and shopping bags were grabbed by the offenders but they failed to get away with much money.
Insp Geoff Camp, head of the Letchworth community team, said this week: "This was a shocking series of crimes, not least because of the vulnerable nature of the people targeted.
You may also want to watch:
"The Letchworth community team and eastern area robbery unit worked very closely in a concerted effort to prevent further crime and bring the offenders to justice.
"Letchworth, like the rest of North Herts, is a very safe place to live and the crime series stood out all the more because of this."
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 6 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
He added: "I would like to reassure the community that the chances of falling victim to this type of offence are very, very small indeed. Since the four arrests there have been no further robberies associated with this series."
Anyone who has been a victim of a robbery in Letchworth GC in the last few months and has not reported it to the police is asked to ring detectives immediately on 01438 757084.
* Eighteen-year-olds Aaron Hunt from Fordham Court, Stotfold, and Luke Ward, from Church Lane, Arlesey, and two girls aged 16 and 17, both from Baldock who cannot be named because of their age, appeared before North Herts magistrates on Tuesday.
They were all bailed after being committed to appear at Luton Crown Court on March 17.