Appeal to trace Letchworth fugitive convicted of sex offences on boys
- Credit: Archant
An elderly man who has been convicted of committing 11 sexual offences against three boys is believed to have fled the country to Spain.
Crimestoppers have launched an appeal to trace Michael McCartney, formerly of Sollershott Hall in Letchworth GC, who failed to appear in court for sentencing in April after being found of guilty of nine indecent assaults, one count of indency with a child and one count of causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
The sexual offences – all on boys under 16 – took place in Letchworth GC between 1989 and 2006.
The 78-year-old was sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court to eight years in prison in his absence.
Police believe McCartney is in Spain, with Operation Captura aiming to trace him and 12 other wanted fugitives – all suspected to be in the country.
Lord Ashcroft, founder and chairman of Crimestoppers, said: “The fact we are able to once again launch Operation Captura is an indication of how successful the last seven years have been since its inception.
“However, despite our success so far, there are still a number of dangerous criminals who see Spain as a safe haven to hide from their past, but with the support of the Spanish and UK public, we can hunt them out and bring them to justice.”
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 9 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf