Appeal to Save Green Belt
Peter Lilley, MP for Hitchin and Harpenden, is urging Luton and South Beds councils not to expand into Hertfordshire Green Belt. The veteran Tory said the councils should look within their own boundaries to solve their housing problems as they search
Peter Lilley, MP for Hitchin and Harpenden, is urging Luton and South Beds councils not to expand into Hertfordshire Green Belt.
The veteran Tory said the councils should look within their own boundaries to solve their housing problems as they search for a solution to meet government housing targets.
He said: "One of the options on the table is a development of many thousands of homes on some beautiful Hertfordshire countryside to the east of Luton.
"I call on them to recognise that their responsibilities are for Luton and Bedfordshire. They should be meeting their housing needs within their own areas and not even considering expansion into Hertfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
"The glorious countryside on Luton's doorstep is an asset to the people of Luton as much as to anyone else. I cannot believe that they would wish to sacrifice it and see it built over and lost for ever."
The joint Luton/South Bedfordshire committee will choose their preferred option on March 20.
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 3 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 4 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 5 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 6 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 7 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs
- 10 Underpass graffiti celebrating Stevenage unveiled