Can you help find retired police officer’s missing service medal?
- Credit: Archant
A retired police officer from Letchworth is appealing for help after losing a medal awarded to him for his contribution to emergency services.
Garry Neesam lost his Queen Ellizabeth Golden Jubilee medal on his way to the Remembrance service at the town’s war memorial yesterday.
He said: “I wore it to a remembrance service on Friday and it was still on my jacket when I put it on to go to the Sunday parade.
“It’s quite strange because the route I was on where it could have fallen off is only about 400 or 500 yards.
“I realised it had fallen off before I got to the service and I immediately turned around to retrace my route.
“It wasn’t in a place with lots of people, so I’m a bit bemused about where it went. “It was definitely on my jacket when I left the house.
“I’m quite disappointed about it, it would be great if it was found and returned to me.”
- 1 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 2 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 3 'No action' after sports pavilions demolished
- 4 Can you help golf star Jack on his professional journey?
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 7 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 8 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 9 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 10 Standalone Farm to reopen with host of activities in time for half term
Garry took to social media to appeal for help in finding the lost medal, which was lost between Broadwater Avenue and the footpath between Morrisons and Pliston Hall.
The post on the We are from Letchworth Hertfordshire Facebook page has had more than 1,100 shares since Sunday, but the medal has still not been found.
Garry added: “I found a pet ferret in my garden a week or so ago and through the power of social media, the owner was traced and I was able to return the ferret.
“I’m hoping that karma and social media will get my medal returned.”
The Golden Jubliee medal was awarded to personnel to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II accession in 2002.
To qualify, recipients must have been in effective service on February 6, 2002 and completed a minumum of five years reckonable service.
They must also have been enlisted on or before Feburary 7, 1997 and served with the regular, reserve or cadet forces.
Garry asks anyone who finds the medal to email firstname.lastname@example.org or post in the We are from Letchworth Hertfordshire Facebook group.
To view the original post, go to facebook.com/groups/wearefromletchworthhertfordshire.