Appeal for volunteers launched by Letchworth First World War memorial project
- Credit: Archant
Organisers behind a memorial project are appealing for volunteers ahead of an exhibition to mark the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War.
Herts at War will showcase the effect the Great War had on the county and its residents both at home and abroad.
The organisation is currently looking for people to help run an exhibition that is being held at 12-14 The Arcade in Letchworth from 6.30pm on August 4 – the day war was declared 100 years ago.
Dan Hill, project officer for Herts at War, said: “We have a variety of roles and would encourage anyone to apply who has interest in military history or just want to get involved in a community project.
“We need people to do everything from man the front desk to research into how the war affected local industry so would encourage anyone interested to apply.”
You may also want to watch:
The exhibition will serve to remember 23,285 names found on 705 war memorials throughout the county and recount personal stories of those who served, and often died during the war.
It will highlight key ‘home front’ areas of importance during that time, with displays and related artefacts on subjects such as conscientious objection, Zeppelin raids, Belgian refugees, German internees, woman at war and nursing in Hertfordshire.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 9 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
For more information and to get involved visit www.hertsatwar.co.uk.