Annual clean-up of Hitchin’s River Hiz set to start this week
- Credit: Archant
The annual clean-up of Hitchin’s River Hiz is set to start this Friday, North Herts District Council has confirmed.
Sections of the river outside St Mary’s Church and Sainsburys in Whinbush Road will be drained of water, before contractors remove silt and sludge.
The river operates via a balancing tank system which helps maintain the water level. A build-up of sludge and silt can cause problems with the tanks.
General rubbish will then be removed and the fountain outside the church serviced.
Work is expected to finish the following Friday – February 22.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Michael Weeks, North Herts District Council’s executive member for the environment, said: “This is part of our routine maintenance work to care for the river that flows through Hitchin, keeping it healthy, clean and visually appealing for those who visit.
“There will be minimal disruption to the sites and work will take place during the day.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home