Ann’s right to Rome for charity
A WOMAN has hit the road to walk an amazing 1,600 miles for charity. Hitchin resident Ann Milner, 56, has set herself the challenge of walking from Santiago de Compostela in Spain to Rome, a journey she believes will take her four months. Ann is paying he
A WOMAN has hit the road to walk an amazing 1,600 miles for charity.
Hitchin resident Ann Milner, 56, has set herself the challenge of walking from Santiago de Compostela in Spain to Rome, a journey she believes will take her four months.
Ann is paying her own expenses for the trip and is asking for sponsorship to raise funds for two homeless charities, the North Herts Sanctuary in Hitchin and the Depaul Trust.
She left England at the end of March and on Saturday was in Revel in the south of France, having covered 770 miles.
You may also want to watch:
Ann is no stranger to epic journeys, having undertaken a pilgrimage from Cornwall to Spain in 2002.
Despite having vowed never to take on another walking challenge, she feels she was called by God to set off again.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
Ann told The Comet: "It is in many ways a 'walk of witness'. Indeed I have had emails from people who have said they are encouraged and inspired by what I am doing and I think that is the 'raison d'etre' for this.
"Given that I had decided to do this walk, also I wanted to try to help homeless people if I could.
"I chose North Herts Sanctuary because I live in Hitchin so it is local to me. I hoped the people who knew me who live locally would support it.
"I chose the Depaul Trust because it is a national charity that helps homeless people.
"I hoped its contacts would increase the number of people that would hear of the walk and donate funds to the charity."
To sponsor Ann or to send her an email, visit her website www.walk2rome.me.uk
Alternatively, send a cheque or postal order to North Herts Sanctuary directly via The Treasurer, North Herts Sanctuary, 25 Nightingale Road, Hitchin, Herts, SG5 1QU. Please write Walk to Rome on the back.