An 11-year-old boy gives up his presents for Letchworth foodbank
- Credit: Archant
An 11-year-old boy from Letchworth is giving up all but one of his Christmas presents this year, asking his mum to donate the money she would have spent to the town’s foodbank.
Christopher Allen – who attends Wilbury Junior School – has been raising money to buy food and treats to donate to Letchworth’s foodbank following a discussion with his mum Amy about being responsible with food waste when there are starving children in the world.
Amy told the Comet: “The discussion moved on to foodbanks and how the one in Letchworth will be hoping for Christmas food donations now.
“Christopher was concerned to hear about some children not getting a selection box or something nice at Christmas, so he asked if he could just have the one Nintendo DS game for Christmas, and use the rest of the money we would have spent on him to buy treats for the foodbank.
“We were so proud of his selfless gesture. We told family and friends via social media and started a GoFundMe page was discussed to make Christopher’s donation even bigger.
You may also want to watch:
“We hoped that his actions would inspire people to donate, and it did.
“He reached his target of £100 in less than a week.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Amy will also be adding the rest of what she would have spent on Christopher for Christmas to the total, and they will be taking donations to the food bank in the next few days.
“Christopher has always been an incredibly sweet and generous young man,” Amy added.
“He just likes seeing other people happy. He’s on a mission that no child goes on without something nice for Christmas.”
To donate to the cause, see Christopher’s Go Fund Me page gofundme.com/christophers-food-bank-fund.
The foodbank – which is part of the Trussell Trust network and serves Letchworth, Baldock and Hitchin – says thanks to the public’s generosity during the Harvest Festival it doesn’t have any immediate shortages, but has been putting together Christmas parcels for local families and individuals in crisis.
To find out more and to do your bit to help visit letchworth.foodbank.org.uk. If you need help, call the team on 07825 300437.