'All change' for Unions
TRADE unions are to be given help evolving to meet the challenges of the modern workplace, Employment Relations Minister Gerry Sutcliffe has announced. The initiatives that have won funding from the Government s Union Modernisation Fund include projects t
TRADE unions are to be given help evolving to meet the challenges of the modern workplace, Employment Relations Minister Gerry Sutcliffe has announced.
The initiatives that have won funding from the Government's Union Modernisation Fund include projects that will help unions to adapt and find new ways of working and serving their members, many of whom are in workplaces that have undergone a great number of changes themselves in recent years.
Some of the projects will specifically look at how unions can assist disadvantaged workers, gender equality and vulnerable workers.
Announcing the winning projects, Mr Sutcliffe said: "The Union Modernisation Fund is designed to help British trade unions continue to meet the needs of their members by helping them to keep pace with the changes that have taken place in workplaces in the last decade.
You may also want to watch:
"Unions are important for both individuals and companies alike. Good unions work with employers to help their members manage any difficulties they may have with their working lives. Unionised workplaces have fewer accidents, narrower pay gaps and better vocational training," he added.
"We are awarding funds to the most innovative and forward-thinking plans aimed at ensuring that trade unions remain relevant to their seven million members."
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: "This welcome support will help unions provide a quality service in the modern world of work to the benefit of their members, employers and the wider economy. This fund demonstrates the wide recognition of the importance of unions in the modern workplace.