Alarm bells sound over fire scare
A WOMAN has branded a fire evacuation at a major supermarket as a farce . The customer, who does not wish to be identified, described staff at the Tesco store in Baldock looking at one another with their hands in the air, saying what s going on? whil
A WOMAN has branded a fire evacuation at a major supermarket as a "farce".
The customer, who does not wish to be identified, described staff at the Tesco store in Baldock "looking at one another with their hands in the air, saying 'what's going on?'" while the alarm was ringing.
After the alarm began, the customer initially saw people leaving the tills and going outside.
She was told to go outside by one shop assistant, but as she made to leave was sent back into the building.
You may also want to watch:
She was eventually told to evacuate the building and remained in the car park for 10 minutes.
The customer, who after the evacuation continued with her shopping and remained in the store until 12.30pm, said that no announcements were made via the tannoy either during or after the event.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 6 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 7 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 8 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 9 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 10 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
She added: "It's just a farce. It just seems crazy that that's how they handle a fire alarm, if it was a fire alarm."
A spokesman for Tesco said: "A fire alarm was accidentally activated on Friday, January 27 in the store.
"Staff immediately began to implement the practised fire drill.
"Unfortunately, the store's tannoy was temporarily not working, which may not have helped the process of explaining the situation to customers.
"The vast majority, however, were communicated with and calmly ushered out of the store and staff acted in a very measured and professional way.
"We do of course regret if anyone was inconvenienced by the incident and thank our customers very much indeed for their support.