African school uniform appeal
With the academic year fast approaching, a charity that supports a school in Africa is calling on parents to donate outgrown uniforms.
WITH the academic year fast approaching, a charity that supports a school in Africa is calling on parents to donate outgrown uniforms.
The Roots Nursery School Charity, based in Hitchin, helps educate children in the village of Juffureh in Gambia and needs uniforms for its two to six-year-old pupils.
The uniforms consist of green gingham dresses, grey shorts or trousers and white polo or short-sleeved shirts.
Charity secretary Mark Mardlin said: “In the development of any child, self-awareness and presentation are important factors Uniforms are a sign of belonging and equality. By giving a child a uniform at a young age you can teach them how look after it, to have pride in their appearance and that they belong to a school.”
Mark said it doesn’t matter if the trouser knees are worn, as they will be altered. He said new underwear would also be most welcome and all other items of clothing for children aged two to six.
The clothes are being collected by Terry Carpenter of Schoolsmart in Stevenage Indoor Market.
- 1 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 2 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 3 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 4 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 5 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 6 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 9 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 10 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
Anyone wishing to volunteer or fundraise for the charity, as Stevenage’s Leys Primary School recently did by dressing as lions and dancing at Sainsburys in the town, call Mark on 01462 600107 or email firstname.lastname@example.org