AFC Wimbledon 4-0 Stevenage FC: Boro knocked out of Checkatrade Trophy after defeat at Kingsmeadow

AFC Wimbledon v Stevenage. Picture: Dan Mountney

AFC Wimbledon v Stevenage. Picture: Dan Mountney - Credit: Archant

Stevenage FC are out of the Checkatrade Trophy after falling to a 4-0 defeat against AFC Wimbledon at Kingsmeadow on Tuesday night.

AFC Wimbledon v Stevenage. Picture: Dan Mountney

AFC Wimbledon v Stevenage. Picture: Dan Mountney - Credit: Archant

Kwesi Appiah put the League One side ahead with a lobbed finish just a minute into the game, with Anthony Wordsworth deflected strike doubling their lead with almost 30 minutes played.

The second-half saw a freak header from Tyler Garratt loop into the net for 3-0, before Alfie Egan curled home late on to knock Boro out.

Dino Maamria named a strong side, with Danny Newton earning a start after his winner against Oldham Athletic on Saturday, while Paul Farman made his return from a hand injury in goal.

There was a familiar face in the Wimbledon line-up as Tom King – who spent the latter half of last season on loan at Boro – started between the sticks.

Stevenage needed a win to advance from the group stage but they made the worst possible start with just a minute on the clock. Appiah raced through on goal from a long ball and the former Crystal Palace striker kept his cool to lift the ball over Farman to put the home side in front.

The visitors had chances in the opening 15 minutes as they looked to force their way back into the game, with Ben Kennedy skewing a shot wide from the edge of the box and Steve Seddon heading past the post.

Most Read

However, with almost 30 minutes on the clock, Wimbledon went 2-0 ahead.

Wordsworth’s free-kick on the edge of the area hit the wall, but it fell back to him, with his powerful strike taking a wicked deflection and finding the bottom corner, just out of Farman’s reach.

That’s how it stayed until half-time and although the scoreline didn’t reflect Boro’s endeavour, it left them with a lot to do in the second-half.

Stevenage had Farman to thank for keeping it at 2-0 just after the interval as he made a good save at his near post from Jake Jervis before scrambling a header off the line.

The ‘keeper could do nothing to stop the third goal though as a Stevenage clearance bounced off the head of Garratt just inside the area and the ball looped into the far corner, putting the game beyond the away side.

The ball just wouldn’t fall for Maamria’s men in the second-half and when Wimbledon counter attacked with just over 10 minutes to play, they made it 4-0.

Egan drove towards the edge of the box before curling a superb strike past Farman to score the goal of the night at Kingsmeadow.

Stevenage will look to put the disappointing defeat behind them when they make the long trip to Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter