Additional £110,000 for Hitchin Town Hall refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
An extra £110,000 has been made available for the refurbishment of Hitchin Town Hall.
The decision was made by members of North Herts District Council’s (NHDC) cabinet at a meeting held last week as a contingency for the £4.39m project, which also includes 14 and 15 Brand Street and will see a museum catering for both Hitchin and Letchworth GC built.
John Robinson, NHDC’s strategic director for customer services and project executive, said: “The contingency budget for the construction of the North Hertfordshire Museum and refurbishment of Hitchin Town Hall has been increased from the original £60,000. This increase, made on the advice of our quantity surveyor, allows for additional variations which could not be anticipated at the start.
“This is usual practice on a multi-million pound project of this scale and at this stage of the development. The funds are part of the council’s capital programme.”
Labour councillor Judi Billing said: “I hope to the money will be spent to make it a fantastic community hall. All I can do is support it.”
You may also want to watch:
Robin Dartington, who represented Keep Hitchin Special at the meeting, said: “What was weird was the lack of any mention of the current difficulties on the town hall where services have been installed prior to Listed Building Consent (LBC).
“Was the extra £110k to cover altering the services, in case LBC is refused? If yes, what contingency plan has the council drawn up in case LBC is refused, what is included? If not, what other unknown items so late in the contract might need twice as much contingency as has already been spent?”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn