Abandoned baby ‘named’
A NEW-BORN baby found abandoned in a Stotfold alley has been nick-named Isabella Ward by hospital staff.
The infant, believed to be between one and five days old was found outside a property on Kipling Crescent, Fairfield Estate, Stotfold.
She was wrapped in a blanket inside a plastic bag and a resident discovered the child while locking up last night.
Emergency services were scrambled to the estate and the baby, who is fit and well, was taken to Lister Hospital.
Detective Inspector Jerry Waite, from the Public Protection Unit, is leading the enquiry and is keen to speak to anyone who may have information about the mother.
He said: “The baby is safe and well so our priority now is to find her mother. She must have been under great personal pressure in order to have felt she had no choice but to abandon her child. I would like to reassure her that our concern is for her wellbeing. She may need medical attention and will clearly be distressed so if she, or anyone who knows her, can tell us where she is please contact the police.”
Anyone with information can call the main switchboard on 01234 841212, text to 07786 200011 or call Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 6 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
For more information on the child click the links on the top right of the page.