A1(M) shut near Welwyn after car catches fire
- Credit: Archant
The A1(M) was shut southbound this morning after a car caught fire.
Police were alerted by the fire service just after 7.45am of a grey Citroen C4 being alight just past Junction 6 for Welwyn.
The driver was said to be out of the car as emergency services arrived at the scene and is not believed to have been injured.
A crew from Stevenage and Welwyn had put out the fire by 8.20am, with the incident being treated as accidental.
All three lanes near to Junction 6 were initially closed, before lanes two and three reopened at 8.15am.
The inside lane was reopen by 8.40am, according to a police spokesman.
- 1 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 2 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 3 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 4 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 5 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 6 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 7 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 8 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 9 Does your MP support drug testing in Parliament?
- 10 Serious collision on A602 injures four