A1(M) shut after van catches fire between Welwyn and Stevenage junctions
- Credit: Archant
The A1(M) was shut this morning after a van caught fire on the northbound carriageway.
The motorway was closed near Junction 6 for Welwyn after a Vauxhall Astra Envoy van caught alight on the hard shoulder just before 10.45am while heading towards Stevenage.
The male driver was already out of the van when emergency services arrived at the scene and is not believed to have been injured.
Two fire crews from Stevenage and Welwyn Garden City were called and had put out the blaze by 11.05am.
All lanes were reopened at 11.15am, but traffic is still being affected in both direction – after smoke travelling across the carriageway caused southbound motorists to slow.
You may also want to watch:
It is the second fire on the same stretch of motorway in as many days after a car caught alight yesterday while travelling southbound.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome