A1(M) shut after bus fire
- Credit: Archant
A bendy bus has caught fire on the A1(M) this afternoon (Friday), forcing the motorway to shut.
Emergency services were called at about 12.25pm to reports that a Stansted Airport bendy bus was on fire on the northbound carriageway just before junction 6 for Welwyn.
Firefighters from Welwyn GC used two hose reels to put out the blaze, which was declared out just before 1pm.
All three lanes of the northbound carriageway remain closed with traffic at a standstill, while the southbound carriageway – which was initially shut due to smoke drifting across – has since reopened.
A police spokesman said it is believed only the bus driver was onboard and he has been taken to safety.
You may also want to watch:
• UPDATE, 1.21pm: The two outside lanes of the northbound carriageway have reopened. Inside lane is still closed due to spilt diesel.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire